Scientific Ocean Drilling Vessel
See Laboratory Manuals, Guides, and Resources for Microscopy.
See the Core Deck panoramic virtual tour.
The Microscopy laboratory is used by shipboard paleontologists to identify microfossils for dating the sediments.
- Three Zeiss DISCOVERY V8 binocular zoom stereomicroscopes
- One Zeiss Axioplan microscope equipped for simultaneous transmitted and reflected polarized light viewing, with a large variety of objectives
- Two Zeiss Axioskop.A1 microscopes equipped for simultaneous transmitted and reflected polarized light viewing, with a large variety of objectives
- One Zeiss Axiophot microscope equipped for DIC, phase contrast, and fluorescence studies and for cross-polarized light, plane-transmitted light, and darkfield illumination
- Most microscopes are equipped with SPOT cameras for digital microphotography
- PICAT to photograph full thin section images in plane- and cross-polarized light
See all chemicals used in shipboard labs.