See the Core Deck panoramic virtual tour.
The Microscopy laboratory is used by shipboard paleontologists to identify microfossils for dating the sediments.
- Three Zeiss DISCOVERY V8 binocular zoom stereomicroscopes
- One Zeiss Axioplan microscope equipped for simultaneous transmitted and reflected polarized light viewing, with a large variety of objectives
- Two Zeiss Axioskop.A1 microscopes equipped for simultaneous transmitted and reflected polarized light viewing, with a large variety of objectives
- One Zeiss Axiophot microscope equipped for DIC, phase contrast, and fluorescence studies and for cross-polarized light, plane-transmitted light, and darkfield illumination
- Most microscopes are equipped with SPOT cameras for digital microphotography
- PICAT to photograph full thin section images in plane- and cross-polarized light
See all chemicals used in shipboard labs.